- A Memoir of the 1950s Pakistan – I
I start with some ‘pre-history.’…
- Power, Law and Brutality: The Link between Colonial and Post-Colonial India
- Inclusivity in Pakistan’s Urban Feminist Movement: A Call for Reflection
While inclusivity as a principle would translate into inclusion of all marginalised۔۔۔
- Covid-19, Global Left and Politics in Pakistan
Ammar Ali Jan, Zahid Ali and Ziyad Faisal sat down with political activist, writer and public intellectual Tariq Ali for the Left-wing Youtube show The Muqaddimah. A number of topics came under discussion….
- How is Lenin Relevant for Politics in Pakistan Today?
The untimely crisis of COVID-19 has melted away political, theoretical and ideological certainties held by many.
- The Moral Virus
There is a popular joke about the promise of celestial virgins (hoors) for pious Muslim men who make it to heaven—it quips how this is not really a reward for the eager men but more a punishment for the hoors.
- Capitalism, Crises and Human Life
The COVID-19 pandemic is only the latest crisis that has had a major impact on human life. Two other crises are also upon us: the crisis of growing inequality and the environmental crisis.
- Labour Relief Campaign
The Labour Relief Campaign, initiated by Pakistan’s Left and Progressive movements, has entered its second month. The effort was initiated with the objective to provide monthly rations to working class families affected by the coronavirus-induced lockdown.
- A Call for Revolutionary Internationalism
For all of the outrage that many rightly feel, it is not surprising that the Pakistan state’s inherently authoritarian streak has come to the fore in the midst of the pandemic. COVID-19 …
- Roots of Food Crisis in Pakistan
Four weeks into the COVID lockdown, millions of Pakistanis have been pushed into hunger. The first cases of COVID-19 began to be diagnosed in Pakistan in the midst of a two-year assault on the country’s …
- Radical demands of the 1960s and lessons for our present
The most remarkable thing about the late 1960s movement in Pakistan were its radical demands, argues Anushey Malik.